Tuesday, November 15, 2011

NaNoWriMo, Week 3

I haven't updated this in a while, so I thought I'd mention my progress. I'm almost at the halfway point, 24,000+ words and counting. I slacked off a bit on the weekend, so I tried to play some catchup tonight.

The plot's not moving as quickly as I expected, I keep throwing in stuff I hadn't seen coming. For instance, tonight I had planned on writing about a press conference. Instead I added a part with Dr. Edwards and his two companions discussing the press conference in his apartment. Then when I got ready to move to the press conference, I found Dr. Edwards talking to his cabbie on the way to the press conference.

I imagine if I planned on this actually being a 50,000 word novel when I'm done with it, the plot would seem to be dragging its heels. Maybe it is in any case. But, this is the first draft, and one thing I've heard from several sources is "Write now, edit later." I'll just get down everything I have in my head now, and worry about tightening the story up later, as I usually try to do.

That's about all for now. The way I have this planned out, the real fun stuff is right around the corner, just in time for the halfway point. In further drafts of the story, this will probably be closer to the 1/4 mark. I can already see a couple sections in my head I can probably chop out if the pacing is really that much of an issue. But that's for another time. This is turning out to be a much wilder project than I'd anticipated, and I'm still looking forward to November 30th and 50,000 words. Wish me luck.

-E. Maxfield Moen

No comments:

Post a Comment